Roasted Carrot Soup
I buy big bags of carrots. Many of these carrots get juiced, grated, peeled, baked, salad-ed and snacked upon, but sometimes we don’t quite make it through the bag before they start to get bendy. I had just such a dwindling bag of carrots taking up valuable real estate in my fridge the day before New Year’s Eve, and so my brain began to whir…
Knowing that I was having family over for a simple dinner to ring in the New Year, I started thinking of what else I had and what I could do with these extra carrots. I knew I had lots of onions and lemons, a bit of feta cheese and some Kalamata olives, this had me thinking Greek. Recalling that I had Epicure’s Souvlaki seasoning and El Greco Secret Sauce, a plan came together.
While this was a simple dish to throw together, I actually prepped it the night before so I could have more time to relax and reminisce about the year that was ending, the soup was greeted with rave reviews and encores of second and third helpings!
Ravishing Roasted Carrot Soup Ingredients
I knew I had to share this recipe when my Instagram post was shared by Epicure on their Facebook page as part of their weekly round-up of images shared on Social Networks featuring their products.
Recipe for Roasted Carrot Soup
makes 8 servings
8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into finger size pieces
2 medium purple onions, sliced in finger width sections
1 head garlic, peeled and hard bottom bits cut off
2 TBS Epicure Souvlaki Seasoning
2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups dried red lentils
6 cups water
juice of 1 lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 TBS Epicure El Greco Secret Sauce
2 TBS water
1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Pre-Heat oven to 400
2. Spread carrots, onions and garlic on baking sheet, sprinkle Souvlaki seasoning and Olive Oil and toss to coat
3. Roast vegetables in oven until golden brown on the edges (approximately 30 minutes)
4. For garnish: Mix El Greco Secret Sauce and water, let stand for 5 minutes and then add Olive Oil, cube feta and slice olives
5. Remove vegetables from oven and allow to cool while placing a soup pot with the red lentils and 6 cups of water on high
6. Once water is boiling, add vegetables turn heat down to medium and cook until lentils are soft (approximately 10 minutes)
7. Add the lemon juice and puree with an immersion blender
8. Add water, salt and pepper to achieve desired consistency and flavour
9. Serve soup in bowls and garnish with tiny cubes of feta, sliced Kalamata Olives and a smattering of prepared El Greco Secret Sauce from Epicure
I also served a simple salad of thinly sliced bell peppers and cucumber (using my Epicure Ceramic Slicer) dressed with Epicure’s Greek Dressing seasoning mixed with red wine vinegar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
If you would like to purchase Epicure seasonings or cookware, please visit my online store: www.juliaustine.myepicure.com or contact me for samples.
What is your favourite way to use up a carrot surplus?